Where can I find information about which countries have co-sponsored Security Council or General Assembly resolutions?
Last Updated: Apr 09, 2019
Sponsors and Co-sponsors are listed in the draft resolutions.
1. General Assembly - draft resolutions submitted directly to the Plenary
- Before consideration of the draft resolutions, sponsors are listed in the draft resolution. Additional sponsors are listed in the addendum to the original draft resolution.
- Additional sponsors may be listed in the meeting record at which the draft was discussed and adopted.
- After the adoption of the resolution, information on sponsors is reproduced in the Compilation of General Assembly resolutions and decisions.
2. General Assembly - draft resolutions submitted for consideration by a Main Committee
In the Main committees, co-sponsors are listed:
- Before consideration by the committee in the draft resolutions and its addendum:
- example: A/C.1/67/L.47
- After the adoption of the draft resolution by the Committee in the report of the Main Committee to the Plenary. It is always important to check in the report for additional sponsors that might have asked orally to be added to the list.
- example: A/67/409, see page 30 to see the list of sponsors for the draft resolution A/C.1/67/L.47
3. Security Council - draft resolutions
- Sponsors of Security Council resolutions are found in the draft resolution
- example: S/2013/318
4. Finding draft resolutions sponsored by a specific country
UN Member States on the record provides predefined searches in the Library's online catalogue, UNBISnet, for draft resolutions sponsored by each Member State.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.