What is the Repertory of Practice of United Nations Organs? What is the Repertoire of Practice of the Security Council? What is the difference?
Last Updated: Jul 20, 2022
Both publications provide detailed analysis of the activities of the United Nations and
- relate actions of the organs to Charter provisions,
- cover actions from 1946 onwards,
- cite to UN documents,
- have tables and data about UN activities,
- were issued initially in the 1950s, with later supplements issued at irregular intervals,
- are available in full text and can be searched on-line.
The Repertory of Practice of United Nations Organs
- covers all organs,
- is organized by article of the UN Charter,
- covers a specific time period in each supplement (from 2-10 years),
- is structured like a treaty commentary, but more detailed.
The Repertoire of the Practice of the Security Council
- covers actions taken by the Security Council,
- is organized by topic,
- covers a specific time period in each supplement (from 2-5 years),
- includes analysis of procedural matters as well as matters that fall under the Charter provisions related to the Security Council.
- The on-line version includes additional analysis, under Research Tools section of website.
The differences are:
- The Repertory covers all organs, the Repertoire focuses on the Security Council
- Because of the overlap, parts of the Repertory that concern the Security Council may not have been updated in the latest supplements available on-line
- For information about recent Security Council actions not covered in the Repertory, check the Repertoire
- The Repertory is organized by Charter article
- The Repertoire is organized by topic and Charter article
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.