What is the Simma Commentary on the Charter of the United Nations?
Last Updated: Apr 24, 2017
The Charter of the United Nations: A Commentary. Edited by Bruno Simma, Daniel-Erasmus Khan, Georg Nolte, and Andreas Paulus. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2012.
Available in print and online:
- Call Number: Ref 341.13 (04) C489
- Oxford Public International Law subscription: Volume 1, Volume 2 (UNHQ or other subscribing institutions only)
The Commentary on the UN Charter is the primary English reference book on the Charter and is a wonderful resource for researching all aspects of the work of the UN. Not only does the Commentary provide in-depth research on the Charter, it also refers researchers to additional resources and UN documents.
The third edition (2012) includes:
- Table of cases
- Table of instruments
- Text of the Charter and the Statute of the International Court of Justice
- Drafting history of the Charter as a whole
- Chapter on UN Reform
- Chapter on Interpretation of the Charter
- In-depth analysis of each Article of the Charter with:
- Text of Charter Article
- Select bibliography
- Drafting history
- Application of the Article
- Citation to references including both scholarly sources and UN documents
- Annexes with Rules of Procedure of the General Assembly, Provisional Rules of Procedure of the Security Council, and Working Methods document of Security Council (S/2010/507)
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.