Where can I find the reform proposals of Secretary-General António Guterres?
Last Updated: Feb 05, 2019
Secretary-General Guterres has made proposals to reform the United Nations since beginning his term in January 2017.
Some key reports on specific topics have been issued:
- Special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and abuse : a new approach (A/71/818 + Corr.1 + Add.1)
- Capability of the United Nations system to assist Member States in implementing the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy (A/71/858)
- Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda : ensuring a better future for all (A/72/124 - E/2018/3)
- Improvement in the status of women in the United Nations System (A/72/220 + Corr.1)
- Overall policy matters pertaining to special political missions (A/72/357)
- Shifting the management paradigm in the United Nations : ensuring a better future for all (A/72/492)
- Restructuring of the United Nations peace and security pillar (A/72/525 and A/72/772)
- Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: our promise for dignity, prosperity and peace on a healthy planet (A/72/684-E/2018/7)
- Has annex: United Nations system-wide strategic document
- Status of implementation of the information and communications technology strategy for the United Nations (A/72/755/Rev.1)
- Seventh progress report on the accountability system in the United Nations Secretariat: strengthening the accountability system of the Secretariat under the new management paradigm (A/72/773)
- Global service delivery model for the United Nations Secretariat Report of the Secretary-General (A/72/801 + Add.1/Rev.1)
- Implementation of General Assembly resolution 71/243 on the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system, 2018 (A/73/63-E/2018/8)
- Shifting the management paradigm in the United Nations : comparative assessment of human resources structures (A/73/366)
- Global human resources strategy 2019–2021: building a more effective, transparent and accountable United Nations (A/73/372)
- Global service delivery model for the United Nations Secretariat (A/73/706)
In addition to the proposals related to the programme budget in A/72/492/Add.1, the following reports on administrative and budgetary matters have been issued:
- Proposed revisions to the Regulations and Rules Governing Programme Planning, the Programme Aspects of the Budget, the Monitoring of Implementation and the Methods of Evaluation (article VII and annex) (A/72/73/Rev.1)
- Strategic capital review (A/72/393)
- Limited budgetary discretion (A/72/497)
The following resolutions have been adopted related to these proposals:
- A/RES/72/199: Restructuring of the United Nations peace and security pillar
- A/RES/72/236: Operational activities for development of the United Nations system
- A/RES/72/266: Shifting the management paradigm in the United Nations
- A/RES/72/266B: Shifting the management paradigm in the United Nations
- A/RES/72/279: Repositioning of the United Nations development system in the context of the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system
- A/RES/73/281: Shifting the management paradigm in the United Nations
We will update this FAQ as more reports with reform proposals are issued.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.