Where can I find the reform proposals of Secretary-General António Guterres?
Last Updated: Oct 17, 2017
Secretary-General Guterres has made proposals to reform the United Nations since beginning his term in January 2017.
Several themes for reform were set out in the Secretary-General's introduction to the annual report on the Work of the Organization (A/72/1).
Some key reports on specific topics have been issued:
- Special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and abuse : a new approach (A/71/818 + Corr.1 + Add.1)
- Capability of the United Nations system to assist Member States in implementing the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy (A/71/858)
- Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: ensuring a better future for all (A/72/124 - E/2018/3)
- Improvement in the status of women in the United Nations System (A/72/220 + Corr.1)
- Overall policy matters pertaining to special political missions (A/72/357)
- Shifting the management paradigm in the United Nations: ensuring a better future for all (A/72/492 + Add.1)
In addition to the proposals related to the programme budget in A/72/492/Add.1, the following reports on administrative and budgetary matters have been issued:
- Proposed revisions to the Regulations and Rules Governing Programme Planning, the Programme Aspects of the Budget, the Monitoring of Implementation and the Methods of Evaluation (article VII and annex) (A/72/73/Rev.1)
- Strategic capital review (A/72/393)
- Limited budgetary discretion (A/72/497)
We will update this FAQ as more reports with reform proposals are issued.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.