Where can I find information about the UN's actions for oceans?
Last Updated: Jun 01, 2018
The importance of oceans has been recognized by the UN in many ways over time. Some notable examples are:
- Convening of 2017 Ocean Conference (A/RES/70/226)
- Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development (A/RES/70/1)
- Establishment of UN-Oceans, the inter-agency coordination mechanism on ocean and coastal issues within the UN system (A/RES/68/70)
- 8 June was named World Oceans Day in 2009 (A/RES/63/111)
- 1995 UN Fish Stocks Agreement (2167 UNTS 3, status)
- 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (1833 UNTS 3, status), which established these bodies:
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) is the specialized agency with responsibility for the safety and security of shipping and the prevention of marine pollution by ships.
Citation information: UNTS= UN Treaty Series; 1833 UNTS 3 = volume 1833, page 3 of the UNTS
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.