What can I find in the Index to Proceedings of the General Assembly?
Last Updated: May 30, 2018
The Index to Proceedings (ITP) of the General Assembly is an annual bibliographic guide to the proceedings and documentation of the General Assembly.
Arrangement of the Index
The Index consists of two parts. Part I, the Subject index consists of:
- Sessional information: Lists officers and provides information on the rules of procedure and on the republication of the resolutions and decisions;
- Check-list of meetings: Lists the plenary meetings of the Assembly and the meetings of the Main Committees;
- Agenda: Lists items considered by and brought before the General Assembly together with the subject headings under which they appear in the Subject index;
- Subject index: Provides topical access to General Assembly documentation arranged alphabetically by agenda subjects and lists documents submitted under each agenda item, the meetings at which the items were considered, and the action taken on each item, if any;
- List of documents: Lists documents issued in connection with the session and provides information on the republication of provisional documents in the printed Supplements to Official Records;
- Reports of the Main and procedural committees: Provides a listing by subject of the reports on the items discussed in the committees;
- Resolutions adopted during the session: Indicates the number and title of each resolution, the meeting number and date, the agenda item number, and the vote where appropriate;
- Voting chart of resolutions: Lists resolutions adopted by recorded or roll-call vote, indicating the vote of each Member State.
Part II, the Index to Speeches consists of the following parts:
The Index to Proceedings of the General Assembly was first published in 1953 and covered the 5th regular session, held in 1950-1951. It was preceded by the Disposition of Agenda Items (A/INF/).
The Index to Speeches of the General Assembly was first issued for the 3rd regular session, held in 1948-1949.
A Voting Chart is included as of the 30th session (1975).
The ITP was published in print format until 2011. Since the 65th session it has been published only as a digital (PDF) publication with links to the full-text document in the Official Document System (ODS), with the option to select the document in any of the official languages available.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.