What are the components of mine action?
Last Updated: Jan 06, 2017
There are five components, or “pillars”, of mine action:
- Clearance of landmines and explosive remnants of war (“demining”), which includes surveying land to determine areas that are mine-affected as well as marking or fencing off contaminated areas.
- Mine-risk education, which helps people to understand and avoid the risks they face in mine-affected areas.
- Victim assistance, which comprises of medical assistance, rehabilitation and reintegration services to victims, including job-skills training.
- Advocacy in support of mine action and international treaties.
- Destruction of countries’ landmine stockpiles.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.