What is a United Nations document symbol?
Last Updated: Nov 07, 2016
- The UN document symbol is usually found at the top right corner of a document.
- The symbol serves as a unique identifier for a UN document.
- All language versions of a document have the same symbol.
- All document symbols are composed of a combination of numbers and letters.
- Some UN publications that have a UN sales number are also given a UN document symbol.
- An index of UN document series symbols from 1946 to 1996 is available in ST/LIB/SER.B/5/Rev.5
Each element of the document symbol has a meaning. For more information, please see our Research Guide on UN Documentation.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.