Are there Public Collected Papers of the Secretary-General of the United Nations?
Last Updated: May 09, 2018
Selected Public Papers [collected papers] of the Secretaries-General of the United Nations may include speeches, letters, reports, interviews, off-the-cuff comments, correspondence, and statements to the press and / or personal notes. The initial volumes, published by Columbia University Press in 1969 under the title: Public papers of the Secretaries-General of the United Nations / selected and edited with commentary, A.W. Cordier, include papers by the first three Secretaries-General:
1. Trygve Lie (Norway): 1st Secretary-General from 1946-1952
- v. 1. Trygve Lie, 1946-1953
2. Dag Hammarskjöld (Sweden): 2nd Secretary-General from 1953-1961
- v.2. Dag Hammarskjöld, 1953-1956
- v.3. Dag Hammarskjöld, 1956-1957
- v.4. Dag Hammarskjöld, 1958-1960
- v.5. Dag Hammarskjöld, 1960-1961
3. U Thant (Burma): 3rd Secretary-General from 1961-1971
- v.6. U. Thant, 1961-1964
- v.7. U. Thant, 1965-1967
- v.8. U. Thant, 1968-1971
These volumes are available in the UN Library under call number UNX.049 C795. --- External Researchers may look for the availability of this collection from their local academic or public libraries.
4. Kurt Waldheim (Austria): 4th Secretary-General from 1972-1981
Currently, there is no publication with the title [*collected/public papers*] for Kurt Waldheim. Available in the Library is a memoir by himself titled “In the eye of the storm”, which can be consulted in the UN Library under call number UNX.25 W162 (English) and UNX.25 W161 (French).
Another publication written by himself is titled “The challenge of peace”, available in the Library under call numbers UNX.25 W1632 (English), UNX.25 W163 (French), UNX.25 W1631 (German), UNX.25 W1633 (Spanish), and UNX.25 W1634 (Japanese).
External Researchers may look for the availability of this collection from their local academic or public libraries. Further research on Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim may be conducted from the UN archives.
5. Javier Pérez de Cuéllar (Peru): 5th Secretary-General from 1982-1991
Currently, there is no publication with the title “*collected papers/public papers*" for Javier Pérez de Cuéllar. What is available is the book "Pilgrimage for peace: a Secretary-General's memoir" / Javier Pérez de Cuéllar. --- available in the UN library under call number UNX.92 P434.
Another book that could be consulted on Javier Pérez de Cuéllar is titled: "Anarchy or order : annual reports 1982-1991", which is a compilation of his ten reports to the General Assembly during the reporting period 1982-1991. It is available in the UN Library under Call Number ST/DCS/SS(064)/SG3.
External Researchers may look for the availability of this collection from their local academic or public libraries. Further research on Secretary-General Javier Pérez de Cuéllar can be conducted from the UN archives Secretaries-General page.
6. Boutros Boutros-Ghali (Egypt): 6th Secretary-General from 1992-1996
The papers of United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali are selected and edited by Charles Hill. Imprint: New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, 2003 . Available in three volumes for consultation at the UN Library under call number UNX.049 B781. External Researchers may look for the availability of this collection from their local academic or public libraries.
7. Kofi Annan (Ghana): 7th Secretary-General from 1997-2006
Prepared by the Kofi Annan Foundation, Kofi Annan’s Collected Papers are available under the title: "The Collected Papers of Kofi Annan". The collection is available for consultation at the UN Library under call numbers UNX.25 A613 and Ref 341.1 A613
- A bibliography about the UN Secretaries-General entitled: “United Nations Secretaries-General: a bibliography with indexes" / P.J. Kelly [ed.] - 1999.” is available in the UN Library under call number UNX.016 U58.
- Archival Finding aids on Secretary Generals are availed from the UN Archives Secretaries-Generals’ page
- *** For official information about the UN Secretaries-General, see UN Documentation Research Guide: Secretariat.
Disclaimer: answers are prepared by library staff using resources available at the time of writing. This site may include links and references to third-party databases, websites, books and articles, this does not imply endorsement by the United Nations.